From Generation to Generation

  • Saturday, March 5, 2011
  • I believe God prepared me for this time in my life several years ago when I read Francine Rivers' book LEOTA'S GARDEN about the institutionalizing of the elderly..

    Two years ago this February my Mother moved in with me, making my house one with four generations under one roof for many days of the week...

    When my mother (and I do call her Mother and the grandchildren and great-grandchildren call her Grandmother) came, I had no idea the impact her presence would have on our family...

    A few things my mother has taught me over the years...

    1. Always put your makeup on first in the morning.
    2. DO NOT drink hot coffee... causes burns in your throat leading to big problems
    3. A tablespoon of metamucil every evening will cure many ills...
    4. Eat light in the evening.
    5. Don't use "fake" anything... ie: heavy cream.. real butter .. eggs.. hence the reason I have rejoined Weight   Watcher's.
    6. Sit and think.. Just think
    7. No one has died here Linda... (technically they have)
    8. Rinse your hair in vinegar for no flakes and beautiful shine
    9. Vitamin E... take too much... the doctor's are wrong.
    10. It is just stuff... it doesn't matter.

    And today's lesson in the parking lot at the dentist??

    WHAT YOU DON'T BRUSH YOUR TONGUE.. THAT IS HORRIBLE YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE BAD BREATH... STICK YOUR TONGUE OUT (I did) LOOK AT THAT.. YUCK... ( I came straight home and brushed my tongue and gagged until I almost ... well you know.

    And a multitude of others…..
    I LOVE LOVE having my mother here...

    She thinks before she speaks...

    She prays.... really prays... for me .. for Tom .. for her great grandchildren... for her grandchildren ... all of whom adore her...
    She read me letters yesterday that her mother wrote her from the nursing home about how afraid she was and how she didn't understand why she was there and that she was going home soon... I listened and we cried for my grandmother.

    We talked about how her mother-in-law taught her to cook and keep house and my grandfather who died of a heart attack at 42 and left my grandmother and the rest of the family floundering...

    About her life as a young mother and how God provided for her young family in dire circumstances..

    She has told me about her successes and her mistakes both as a mother and a wife, reflecting on her life having been left both by my Father and her second husband...

    She tells me about the discipline of God...and His mercy... how He talks to her .. (and He does) and strangely I hear her now... I never did before...

    I knew it all.. I had the answers before there were any questions and it is amazing how much my mother has "learned " over the years..
    And the door opens and the grandchildren come in (hers) and say... Hi Mom.. and head straight for the "house in the back" and sit and talk to Grandmother about everything.. and everything stays"in the vault" It is safe there.

    No advice (well maybe a little) No judgment... Just love and listening...
    And the door opens and the Great-grandchildren come in and say... Hi Nana... and head to the "house in the back" and say...
    Hi Grandmother.. Can I use your bathroom? YES

    Hi Grandmuder... Can I have some dawk chocowate? YES

    Hi Grandmother- What are you doing today? WAITING FOR YOU TO COME

    Hi Grandmother- I love you... I LOVE YOU TOO

    Hi Grandmother.. I got my braces off today.. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL

    Hi Grandmother-- Look at my diamond... What do you think? IT IS BEAUTIFUL.

    Four generations in one house... Wisdom.. Love .. Regrets.. New beginnings... passed from one generation.. to the next.. to the next... to the next....

    Not a day goes by that my precious mother does not say to me... Thank you Linda for everything you do for me...

    NO MOTHER..... THANK YOU...

    Psalm 145:4 One generation shall praise Your works to another and declare Your mights acts.

    4 comments:

    Kitt said...

    Boy, there are so many things to learn from this:

    1. The joy of taking care of your elders. Not a chore, but a privilege.

    2. As we age we can either become grumpy or twinkly. I want to twinkle. (That one's from Debbie Moore's mom.)

    3. Take time to love and encourage others.

    4. Pass on advice, like the tongue thing.

    5. Be happy to see people!

    Thanks, Linda!! This really encouraged me.

    Dani said...

    Linda~ love it. :)

    Steph said...

    Beautiful. Mothers are a treasure.

    Mel said...

    WHERE DOES YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW FIT INTO THIS PICTURE?

    Post a Comment