The Road Not Traveled...

  • Wednesday, September 1, 2010
  • by Linda Rempel


    So this is the deal... I have been thinking a lot about the "paths" of my life and how decisions about moving... jobs... discipline... rules... eating... not eating... have affected my life...

    My Mother lives with us... She is a multi talented self taught woman who is an artistic beyond belief... poetic... journaling ... thinking woman... and brought with her to my house all her books of poetry
    one of them being the title of this blog....
    Most of my life has been wished away as I have told you before and full of decisions to make... some of them life changing... some of them life threatening... some of them... irreversible...

    I remember when we moved to Lincoln.. " the BIG city" from Gothenburg where our children walked to school ... and went to the store alone and we didn't worry about them... and that decision at a time in our lives having children that were... a senior in high school... an eighth grader and a six year old ... to move our family to the other side of the state...

    Changed the course of our lives forever....

    They went to high school here.... they met their spouses here as opposed to Gothenburg.. (except for Robb who married a little girl from where???? Gothenburg... lol) our grandchildren were born here... are growing up here and will probably meet their spouses here... all because (humanly speaking) we took one road over the other...
    There were multiple times in our lives where we took one road instead of the other...many many times the "road less traveled" and it changed everything...

    Edith Schaeffer in her book "What is a family" ( which I would highly recommend if you can even find a copy) says..."THE WILL OF GOD IS ONLY SEEN IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR".

    Ask my mom... the decisions she made.. (and yes I have her permission to say this) and that my dad made, changed our family forever...and when Tom and I married we said... This is where it stops... We will travel this road ..(many times not understood by others) and our family will be different...(note to self and others.. God has a huge place in this and how it plays out... ) for notes on this listen to sermons on Proverbs... hmmmm... shall we say the Holy Spirit?....

    So does the road you choose today make a difference? Yes it does... Can you do anything about the roads you have chosen in the past... not so much... MOVE ON PLEASE...

    "Leaving the past behind we press on toward the high calling of God" Paraphrase.. Don't get all worked up...
    That being said ...(as Tom says which drives me insane) every decision we make affects someone...We don't get to just BE OURSELVES and do as we wish...

    Pray... Look at the roads... choose one.... and then forge ahead... knowing that God has led.. He will protect ...comfort and be with you every step of the way... even when you don't feel like it... :-)

    Am i sorry for the path we chose...??? NOOOOO.. Would I change anything..? NOOOOO... The Road Not Traveled??? I don't know but the road I have traveled has made all the difference...

    Deuteronomy 30:19 paraphrase and may be out of context... HUSH...
    "Today I have set before you life and death.... choose life...that you may live and your descendants..."

    P.S. I should have taken the road to the vacuum cleaner or the laundry room today instead of the computer...

    3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    IM SO BLESSED
    THANK YOU LINDA

    Anonymous said...

    Thank you for taking the road to the computer. The laundry isn't going anywhere. We are SO busy in our lives and need to read what comes out of your kitchen. It is always so timely and real.
    Thank you, Linda.

    Kitt said...

    I think the road to the computer was much better.

    Post a Comment